A daily GeoNames database dump can be downloaded in the form of a large worldwide text file (allCountries.zip).
Additional country files are available for convenience. You find the files on our
. Read the readme.txt
for details. A Premium Data Subscription
variant is available for professional users.
Postal codes are available as a separate download
GeoNames if offering a wide range of sophisticated web services.
Free support for GeoNames is provided by the community. The GeoNames team is available for commercial support and consulting :
Sources and Contributions
- Sources : GeoNames is aggregating over hundred different data sources.
- Ambassadors : GeoNames Ambassadors help in many countries.
- Wiki : A wiki allows to view the data and quickly fix error and add missing places.
- Donations and Sponsoring : Costs for running GeoNames are covered by donations and sponsoring.
Terms and Conditions
- free : GeoNames data is free. Datasets of lesser quality and coverage from other 'vendors' may cost more than 25.000$ per year.
- cc-by licence (creative commons attributions license). You should give credit to GeoNames when using data or web services with a link or another reference to GeoNames.
- commercial usage is allowed
- 'as is' : The data is provided "as is" without warranty or any representation of accuracy, timeliness or completeness.
- 30'000 credits daily limit per application (identified by the parameter 'username'), the hourly limit is 2000 credits. A credit is a web service request hit for most services. An exception is thrown when the limit is exceeded.
- Service Level Agreement is available for our premium web services.